29.8.13

Fitness: Get Started!

Recently, I've become a lot more focused on becoming fitter and healthier. The amount of horror stories I've heard about people putting on loads of weight when they move up to uni has scared me into building a habit of keeping fit!
As one of my 'tips' below suggests, I thought by telling you all about my aims might motivate me even more and hopefully motivate others too. I am in no way what-so-ever a fitness expert, this is just what has been effective for me and I feel could work for others looking for some motivation.

So, I've put together my top five tips that have been a big help for myself over the last few months...

1. Start easy and build
Take running for example, if you're not particularly fit - as I wasn't when I started - start with speed walking mixed with a light jog to start with and each time aim to endure a slightly faster pace for a longer time. This way, you'll enjoy it more as you'll be working at your ability rather than pushing yourself too hard, it'll add a bit of self-competition wanting to improve each time, and you'll be able to witness you're progress as you go.

2. Set goals
Whether it's a weight goal, a dress size or just becoming fitter and healthier, goals are a great motivation. Each time you hit an aim, set another one! Just always remember to keep the goals realistic otherwise it can have the complete opposite effect and dishearten you if you fail to reach it.

3. Talk about it!
Tell your friends, family, blog readers... Telling people your aims and routine can be a huge motivator. Just knowing that people you know and are close to are aware that you're aiming to either lose weight, stick to a routine or whatever it may be, will make you more determined to achieve it.

4. Set a routine... and stick to it
Planning out a routine will give your workout structure and not only planning what days and times you'll work out but planning what you'll do is also effective! It may be difficult to convince yourself to stick to it at the start but eventually it'll become a habit.
Personally, I aim to work out at least 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) for at least 30 minutes and always complete it in the mornings to get it out of the way, but just figure out what works best for you and fits in with your day-to-day life.

5. Treat yourself to some fancy gear ;)
Of course clothes have somehow managed to sneak their way in... but buying yourself some new running trainers or a new sports bra, whatever it may be, will make you feel better about yourself when you're working out. And we don't want those new shoes going to waste do we?!

If your excuse happens to be 'there's nowhere near me to run', 'I can't afford a gym membership' or 'I don't have the equipment to do an at-home workout' then you have no excuse...
There are loads of great YouTube workout videos that you can complete at home with nothing but yourself and maybe some general home-ware. Here are some that I'd recommend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6t0quh8Ick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JygaGSCd_Ic
http://www.youtube.com/user/blogilates


Of course, no fitness inspo post is complete without some cheesy inspirational pictures...






Let me know if you find this helpful at all and if you have any other tips or advice, leave them in the comments! 




6 comments:

  1. Great motivation post! I think this is what I needed to start my gym membership again haha.. So many people say that the weight hits you at 21 and being 20 im not far away.

    http://kumbear-xo.blogspot.co.uk/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post :) I think the main thing that makes me motivated is new gorgeous trainers. I'm dying to get my hands on some pink nike trainers and some gorgeous new gear to get into it! And then i think i'll get back into routines and things!

    x

    rosiealexandraa.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Points 1 and 4 couldn't be put better! Fitness boards on Pinterest have been such a great motivator too!
    Have you heard of the rich girl diet too? If you reach your goal by the end of the month you allow yourself a shopping spree! My kind of fitness regime ;)
    x
    Celia @ celiasantics.blopstop.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im trying to get fit and healthy aswell, my motivation is getting into shape for fashion week! lol

    thanks for sending me your blog, new follower!
    A FASHION FIX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I'm working at just generally being healthier, eating better and working out/excercising more, and this definitely helped. :D

    Maxine, xx
    theblondeonbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on weightloss exercise.
    Regards

    Feel free to surf to my web page; Nuvagenic

    ReplyDelete